Prof. Peter HODGSON
Deakin University, Geelong, Australia
Professor Hodgson's research includes steel processing and the development of new alloys, and downstream ferrous and non-ferrous manufacturing processes associated with the automotive industry. He currently holds several ARC Discovery and Linkage grants, all related to metal processing. In 2004 he was made an Alfred Deakin Professor of the University for outstanding contributions to research and awarded an ARC Federation Fellow by the Australian Research Council. The University of Valenciennes award made him an Honoris Doctoris Causa in 2005 for contributions to metal forming research, while in 2006 AGH in Poland awarded him an Honorary Medal for contributions to materials science.
- PhD, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia (1994)
- B.Eng (Hon), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia, (1979)
- DHC, Valenciennes (2005)
Relevant employment history:
- 2008-present: Director of Research, Institute for Technology Research and Innovation, Deakin University
- 2006-2008: Director, Centre for Material and Fibre Innovation, Deakin University
- 2005-present: ARC Federation Fellow
- 1995- 2004: Professor of Engineering, Deakin University
- 2001- present: Associate Dean, Research, Deakin University
- 1999- 2001: Head of School, Engineering and Technology Deakin University
- 1985 -1995: BHP Research
A list of the ten most significant relevant publications for the last five years:
- C. Roucoules, M. Pietrzyk, P.D. Hodgson, Analysis of Work Hardening and "Recrystallisation During the Hot Working of Steel using a Statistically Based Internal Variable Model." Materials Science and Engineering, 39 (2003) pp 1-9
- H. Beladi , G. L. Kelly , A. Shokouhi and P. D. Hodgson, "The Evolution of Ultrafine Ferrite Formation Through Dynamic Strain-Induced Transformation," Materials Science and Engineering A, 371 (2004), pp 343-352.
- A Oudin, M.R. Barnett, P.D. Hodgson: "Grain size effect on the warm deformation behaviour of a Ti-IF steel," Materials Science and Engineering A, 367 (2004), pp 282-294.
- H. Beladi, G.L.Kelly and P.D. Hodgson, "Microstructural evolution of ultrafine grained structure in plain carbon steels through single pass rolling," Material Science and Technology, 20 (2004), pp 1538-1544
- S. H. Zahiri, C.H.J. Davies and P D. Hodgson, "A mechanical approach to quantify dynamic recrystallisation in polycrystalline metals," Scripta Materialia 52 (2005), pp 299-304
- C.E. Wen, W. Xu, W.Y. Hu and P.D. Hodgson (2007) "Hydroxyapatite/titania sol-gel coatings on titanium-zirconium alloy for biomedical applications," Acta Biomaterialia, Vol 3, pp 403-410
- Y. Adachi, M. Wakita, H. Beladi and P.D. Hodgson (2007), "The formation of ultrafine ferrite through static transformation in low carbon steels," Acta Materialia, Vol 55, pp 4925-4934
- E.V. Pereloma, I.B. Timokhina, M.K. Miller and P.D. Hodgson (2007), "Three-dimensional Atom Probe Analysis of Solute Distribution in Thermomechanically processed TRIP steels," Acta Materialia, Vol 55, pp 2587-2598
- H. Beladi, G.L. Kelly and P.D. Hodgson (2007) "Ultrafine grained structure formation in Steels using Dynamic Strain Induced Transformation processing," International Materials Reviews, Vol 52, No. 1 pp 14-28
- I. Sabirov, Y. Estrin, M.R. Barnett, I. Timokhina, P.D. Hodgson, "Tensile deformation of an ultrafine-grained aluminium alloy: Micro shear banding and grain boundary sliding," Acta Materialia, In Press.